Step 1: using a pen and un-lined white paper, sketch the layout of the room. don’t worry about drawing to scale.
Step 2: using a tape measure, measure the entire length of each wall, corner-to-corner.
Step 3: after the entire length of the walls has been measured and recorded, measure each wall in detail.
- starting in the corner, measure the distance to the casing of the first window.
- next, measure the width of the window (include casings)
- proceed to measure all items on length of wall. items important to include are: doors, windows, built-ins, radiator, electrical outlets, sconce(s), etc.
- continue to do this for all other walls.
Step 4: once you have completed the detailed measurements, add up the detailed measurements on a calculator and make sure that they add up to your measurement of the entire length wall. if the number is off by more than 5 inches, quickly re-measure length of wall and details to find error.
Step 5: additional measurements:
- window height
- door height(s)
- fireplace (if applicable): hearth length & width
- height of ceiling from lowest point to the floor
Step 6: take note of all ceiling light fixtures and approximately indicate existing placement on your drawing
Step 7: scan and e-mail your drawing to us with all information included from the steps above.